For many reasons, people avoid using smartphones while driving. One of them is it’s illegal. But that doesn’t stop you from enjoying music while you drive or receive phone calls as Apple CarPlay is here to rescue you.
Apple CarPlay lets you transmit your music and infotainment options to your car system so you don’t have to make another playlist and navigate to different personalized data. Your long drives and adventurous journeys would be amazing until Apple CarPlay stops working or Apple CarPlay not working at all and you couldn’t figure out what has made the glitch.
Oftentimes, your iPhone is connected correctly but your CarPlay doesn’t respond the way it is supposed to. If you are in the middle of this situation and want a quick fix, then this guide is going to help you no matter where you are. So, without further ado, let’s check what could be the reason if your Apple CarPlay not working.
Why is Apple CarPlay not working? The Causes
The first thing that you need to confirm when you want to run Apple CarPlay on your car is that CarPlay is perfectly configured and has an updated version on your iPhone. No matter if you are using the feature for the first or the hundredth time, prior checking of the application matters in the first place. It is necessary to check if the app is working fine as most of the time it automatically shuts down which creates on-connectivity issues.
If it’s working fine in your iPhone but doesn’t connect to your car, then you can easily attach your phone by a charging cable to the CarPlay or use the Bluetooth of your car to make a good connection.
Regardless of the technique you apply, there seem to be multiple explanations why CarPlay might not always function, even though it has previously worked perfectly, including:
- App interface issues
- Bluetooth connection difficulties
- Defective USB cord
- Incompatibility troubles
- iOS upgrade concerns
- iPhone not recognized
How to fix Apple CarPlay not working – 6 Pro Tips
CarPlay difficulties are difficult to solve since there are so many distinct automotive technologies over and above your iPhone. Whether you’re having trouble with sound, connectivity, or applications, we’ve put together a list of solutions and recommendations in this post to assist you in getting CarPlay running properly.
1. Initial Inspections
Here are a few things to look into before attempting all of the other solutions listed below:
- Firstly, make sure your iPhone, as well as your car’s multimedia system, are both switched on. If the automobile offers an active button, make sure it’s turned on.
- Disconnect your iPhone from the automobile and reconnect it.
- Ensure that the iPhone you have is running the most recent iOS release and also that CarPlay is enabled (iPhone 5 and newer)
- Ensure that your automobile is compliant with CarPlay. If you are unsure, see the car’s owner’s guidebook or approach your car company. You may buy a suitable replacement system from companies such as Alpine, Clarion, Blaupunkt, JVC, Pioneer, Kenwood, as well as Sony if your automobile stereo is not perfectly compatible.
- If you’re using CarPlay, un-pair each and every other Bluetooth gadget linked to the iPhone, which might disrupt or clash with the smartphone as well as your automobile.
- Since Apple CarPlay isn’t accessible globally, double-check that your local region permits it.
- Verify and confirm if your automobile contains the most up-to-date firmware version. If you already have an aftermarket car stereo, look for a software upgrade on the company’s website and follow the steps.
- Whenever the Bluetooth link across your smartphone and the vehicle’s entertainment unit gets distorted, this normally helps.
If you have gone through all of the above steps but your CarPlay still did not function, consider trying out the solutions listed here to see if they resolve the issue and get your CarPlay working properly.
2. Check your Connection
Any USB cord or perhaps a cordless link can be used to hook up to the CarPlay system. If you are utilizing a USB charging cable, manually inspect your cable and ensure that it is not broken, faulty, or try another USB terminal and try using a separate cord.
If you want to opt for cordless connectivity, go to the settings menu on the iPhone then turn on Bluetooth and WiFi.
- Go to settings menu > WiFi to allow WiFi.
- Switch the WiFi button to on or green to activate it.
- To activate Bluetooth, go back to Settings, hit Bluetooth, then flip the button to on or green.
3. Restart the iPhone along with the Multimedia Unit in your Automobile
Verify if your CarPlay icon displays on your vehicle’s screen if your CarPlay does not operate after testing various connections. If it doesn’t work, reboot both your smartphone and the multimedia unit.
Depending on the iPhone version, follow these instructions to restart it:
- To turn off or on the iPhone SE (1st generation) as well as iPhone 5 devices, tap and hold its upper button.
- To switch off as well as on the iPhone SE (2nd generation), iPhone 6, 7, and 8 devices, tap + hold its side key for a few seconds.
- To switch on an iPhone X as well as any newer device, push and hold its volume plus side keys together, then hit its side button once more.
Note: Refer to your car’s owner guidebook for details on how to reactivate the multimedia device. Try connecting CarPlay to the iPhone once more after rebooting the gadgets to see if the issue still exists.
4. Make sure Siri is enabled
If the car features Siri Eyes Free, users may convey their wish by holding down its voice-command button on the car’s driving wheel. You will not be enabled to activate Siri using CarPlay when Siri is turned off.
- Go to Configuration > Siri & Lookup to activate Siri.
- Select the necessary settings to allow: Allow Siri while the phone is locked, wait for ‘Hey Siri’, then hit the Power button or the Home key to wake Siri up.
5. Double-check that CarPlay isn’t disabled
If your CarPlay does not acknowledge your iPhone, make sure the function isn’t disabled on your device.
- To do that, just go to the iPhone’s Configuration and hit Screen Time.
- Select ‘Content & Privacy Restrictions’ from the drop-down menu.
- Select your vehicle and then just select ‘Forget this vehicle’.
6. Confirm if CarPlay is permitted when the automobile is locked
Still, if your CarPlay is not running after attempting the steps above, see if it is possible to use it when the vehicle is locked.
- Launch your iPhone’s Settings application and go to General > CarPlay.
- Select Your Vehicle.
- Finally, flip the button on if your ‘CarPlay When Locked’ is turned off.
We wish the suggestions and solutions in this post assisted you in troubleshooting and resolving your ‘Apple CarPlay not working issues. If you continue to experience problems, you can request Apple Support as well as your automobile company for help with difficulties relating to your vehicle’s multimedia system.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Why sometimes Google Maps don’t function on Apple CarPlay?
Apple CarPlay Google Maps feature needs iOS 12 or higher running on your iPhone. If your iPhone has a lesser version, Google Maps will create issues. On the flip side, to troubleshoot the location issues, make sure your location is enabled. If it is, you may also need to check the time and date of both devices and try restarting the devices.
2. Is there any option to stop Automatic Music from Apple on CarPlay?
In case you don’t need the auto-play feature of Apple Music, you can just click on the infinity icon on the music app which stops auto-play, and you and select the next coming song. Plus, just disconnecting Bluetooth can also stop playing the next song in the playlist.
3. Does every Car have the Apple CarPlay Option?
Well, the world segregates here when it comes to allowing Apple CarPlay on every other vehicle. Apple has announced a list of cars that can officially support Apple CarPlay. More than 600 models are there around the world support Apple CarPlay.
Why is My Car Vibrating? : The Rumble in Your Ride
As you cruise down the road, enjoying the open air and the freedom of the
Car Battery Died While Driving: Causes, Prevention, Tips and Tricks
Have you ever been driving down the road, only to have your car battery die
Don’t Let Your Car Overheat: Temporary Fix For Overheating Car
An overheating car is a common problem that can occur due to several reasons. When
Why is My Car Overheating? A Comprehensive Guide to Causes and Solutions
As you cruise down the road on a hot summer day, your car suddenly starts
First Oil Change New Car: Everything You Need to Know
As a new car owner, you’re probably excited to hit the open road and enjoy