A fuel injection system (FIS) plays a significant role in the process of combustion. It helps the engine consume less than the usual amount of fuel while emitting reduced toxic exhaust gasses. Over the past few years, the FIS has undergone many innovations.
The GDI engine is the most advanced technology fuel injection system. There always had been a need to improve the fuel injection function before GDI was introduced. Before the advent of GDI, there were electronic fuel injection (EFI) engines and MultiPoint Fuel Injection (MPFI) engines.
It’s time to learn what does GDI mean? To get an answer, you must read the article in full.
What does GDI mean?
A GDI/PDI engine is a Gasoline/Petrol Direct Injection engine. The GDI or PDI comes with an internal combustion system that consumes gasoline (petrol) to work. Through this system, the fuel is directly injected into the combustion chamber for better efficiency and fuel consumption.
Who uses this type of engine and why?
These engines are used by the most renowned car manufacturing companies, because it’s cost-effective and ensures efficient fuel consumption. When the gasoline is directly injected into the combustion chamber, less fuel is consumed to produce the same amount of torque as generated by complete combustion.
This also enables you to draw more power from small engines while keeping the engine’s temperature low for a better compression ratio, thus improving the vehicle’s overall performance. The GDI’s distinctive design improves the overall power output, hence the car’s mileage, while being more eco-friendly than non-GDI engines comparatively.
The precision performance, coupled with efficient fuel consumption all together seem too good to be true, and it is. But there are disadvantages of using this engine as well. It’s like a double-edged sword.
One of the most prominent issues that you may face is the carbon layer that covers the intake valves. These intake valves are responsible for allowing the air into the engine’s cylinder. Usually, two intake valves conduct the airflow into every cylinder. However, the air that flows through the intake valves is grimy. The dirt that deposits on these valves is contaminated. It contains different oil molecules. The fuel injector in the GDI engine is fixed under the cylinder, so the intake valves do not get any gasoline. The dirt on the intake valves is dangerous, and it affects the engine’s performance and mileage. When it sticks to the hot intake valves, it builds up valve goop, which deteriorates the engine’s overall performance.
How to keep the GDI engine running smoothly?
On the other hand, in non-GDI engines, the intake valve goop is not an issue. This is because, in other fuel injection systems, the gasoline is sprayed onto the intake valves. This prevents uncontrollable goop buildups on the surface of the intake valves.
However, this does not mean that GDI engines are inherently flawed, but you might have to be cautious to keep them working smoothly. Here are a few tips for doing so:
- Car manufacturers such as KIA and BMW have issued bulletins to their car dealerships with directives to use ethanol-free fuel in their cars to avoid this problem in the first place.
- Some car manufacturers have modified engines to spray a little fuel on the valves to keep them clean.
- Car owners should get professional help to maintain their vehicles. If the car needs a service, they should consult authorized mechanics to do the job.
- The goop-buildup can result in engine misfiring, which happens when the engine does not entirely ignite the fuel. Nevertheless, engine misfires are not easily detectable. However, to stay on the safe side, hire a professional to get the vehicle checked.
- In a GDI engine, the spark plugs are supposed to be changed on time to avoid any deposit buildups in the intake valves. When buying a GDI-powered car, always ask for service records to prove the timely spark plug change. This is necessary because even a minute’s delay in the replacement of a spark plug can result in engine malfunction. The spark plugs if not changed on time can be contaminated enough to affect the ignition system.
Overview In the brutally cutthroat SUV and crossover segments, automakers are now attempting to squeeze
Overview Most often, our standard side mirrors feature blind zones, and you do not even
We know how much you love carpool karaoke, and if your Apple CarPlay stops working
If you hear an annoying noise coming from your car, but don’t think it could
Are you wondering about why your car gas mileage got worse? A few years ago,